Jessica Louie, PharmD, BCCCP — president of Clarify Simplify Align, the host of the Burnout Doctor podcast, and Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice at West Coast University — talks to us about developing a meaningful side gig to reinvigorate your passions.
- Every career has ups and downs ... and health care professionals are prone to burnout. Burnout is a syndrome of emotional & physical exhaustion, cynicism about work, and a lack of a sense of personal accomplishment.
- Overcoming burnout takes time to address - examining your emotional, physical, and spiritual needs.
- Learning how to "own" your time and being intentional with your energy is critically important.
- Starting a small business can be very gratifying so long as the activity aligns with your core values and passions.
- The ten pillars of life can enhance one's sense of wellbeing. A meaningful side gig can enhance the sense of wellbeing by address several of the life pillars.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people who are interested in or who have successfully developed a side gig.
- Be mindful of the big transitions in life - to minimize stress, whenever possible, limit your attention to one major life event at a time.
- Starting a side gig will require a significant time commitment but you can manage it by using time blocking and simplifying.
You can download the Burnout Starter Kit to learn how to clarify, simplify, and align your life.