Ashley Barlow, PharmD (MD Anderson Cancer Center) & Brooke Barlow, PharmD (University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center) - @theABofPharmaC and PGY2 Pharmacy Practice Residents - talk to us about developing their professional brand using Twitter and why creating an online presence can help you achieve your career goals.
- Social media, especially Twitter, has become an increasingly important forum for connecting with professional colleagues and engaging in dialog about cutting edge issues that impact patient care and pharmacy practice.
- To get started, read this brief article by Robert Pugliese entitled How Twitter Has Made Me a Better Pharmacist.
- Consider maintaining separate professional and personal social media accounts.
- Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter are the most commonly used social media platforms for professional networking purposes.
- Everyone should purposefully develop their professional brand online. Your digital footprint ultimately reflects your reputation.
- Your online persona is perhaps the first and most important impression that others with have of you.
- Think about the ABCDEs of your social media presence. A - align your social media with your professional goals. B - build your profile with a professional bio and photo. C - curate the content you find interesting and important. D - define your audience. E - engage in conversations ... be sure to like, comment, and retweet!
- Your online network through social media can lead to many new opportunities.
Get the Social Media Infographic by Ashley and Brooke Barlow (@theABofPharmaC)